2022 was a year for the record books, and here at the Downtown Tacoma Partnership, we are looking forward to all that’s in store in the year ahead! Now that 2023 is well under way, we’re taking a moment to reflect back on some of our top downtown moments from the past year.
- New Downtown Businesses: In 2022, we were thrilled to welcome a number of new businesses to Downtown Tacoma. South Sound Scooters opened up the only exclusive Vespa and Piaggio scooter shop in the Pacific Northwest. Metro Retro’s nostalgia shop is filled with the best toys and games from your childhood. Two Birds Eco Shop brought locally-made goods and gifts to their Pac Ave pop-up shop. And Nature’s Twist opened at the end of the year, offering handmade jewelry and ethically-sourced crystals.
- Downtown Development: Cranes were in the sky downtown and many exciting projects began to come to life over the course of the past year. From multi-family housing to the renovation of historic buildings and more, the future of Downtown Tacoma is looking bright.
- New Food & Drink: Downtown gained some tasty new destinations in 2022 like Dancing Goats Coffee which opened the doors to their new and modern cafe in the Brewery Blocks last January. Pint & Pie Public House moved downtown to serve great craft brews and pies of all varieties. Crisp Greens now offers quick and healthy food options from their restaurant on Pacific Avenue. The Method Skateboards & Coffee opened an amazing cafe with a full service skate shop in-house. And Apizza Little Italy recently celebrated their Grand Opening to share their from-scratch family recipes and Italian cuisine with the community.
- City of Destiny Award: Last Spring, the DTP’s Safe and Clean Teams were honored by the City of Tacoma at their annual City of Destiny Awards for their steadfast dedication, service, and hard work to keep our community welcoming and safe for all who live, work, and play in Downtown Tacoma.
- Our New Communications Coordinator: Last January, we welcomed Gaby Kinner, our Communications & Outreach Coordinator, to our team here at the DTP! Gaby is the voice behind our communications and marketing efforts, and loves to share the stories behind the places, people, and things that make Downtown Tacoma unique and special.
- Continued Safe & Clean Services: From removing thousands of pounds of trash to responding to hundreds of community safety efforts, The Downtown Tacoma Partnership’s Safety and Clean Teams worked hard all year long to ensure that our community is comfortable, clean, and welcoming for all.
- The Holiday Haul Crawl: Last December, we were thrilled to celebrate the 7th annual Holiday Haul Crawl. The Haul Crawl was created as a way to encourage shopping local and supporting Downtown Tacoma’s small businesses during the holiday season.
For twelve straight days, the community was able to enjoy several free, family-friendly events and activities ranging from holiday karaoke to pop-up concerts by Tacoma’s resident arts organizations. Families and friends traveled from near and far to take part in the Haul Crawl’s holiday festivities, and many have made a yearly tradition out of the event by choosing to take holiday photos, enjoy carriage rides and more in Downtown Tacoma each year.
- Sound Bites Summer Concerts: Throughout the month of August, we were thrilled to host free weekly outdoor concerts in the evenings complete with great local musicians and performers, delicious food trucks, a beer & margarita garden, and unforgettable summer memories. We’re getting geared up for Sound Bites 2023! Stay tuned for more details in the year ahead.
- Trashcan Time Machines: Last year, we introduced our new interactive Trashcan Time Machines into the community where users can drop their trash and visit the past. Each trashcan features a QR code that, when scanned, will transport you back in time by pulling up a historic photo from the exact place that you’re standing. We are excited to be working on our next round of new Trashcan Time Machines and are currently curating more stories from downtown’s history that we can’t wait to share with you in the year ahead.